Skip to main content

Rust Punks Global Campaign

Do you remember Storm of Chaos, Dark Shadows, or even A Dark Conspiracy?

 

Well I do. Storm of Chaos came out in 2004, at the peak of my juvenile interest in Warhammer Fantasy and captured my imagination. I would have been 13 or 14 that year, and it happened right before I moved across the country and away from my friends and my local GW store. For those who are unfamiliar, Storm of Chaos was a global campaign - an event hosted by Games Workshop where players could go into any GW shop, play a game, and have those results recorded. All of the results from all over the world would be tallied up and help to decide the fate of the Old World. 

The idea that I could participate in something that actually had an effect on the world I cared so much about was amazing - and groundbreaking for a pre-teen Andrew.


I have always wanted to participate in another one of these events, now that I am an adult who can carve out a bit of time and energy for something like this - I wanted to do it right and get invested in my games, and just make the most of it. But another event never came. GW did something sort of like a global campaign for AOS, where if you bought their big starter box for a recent edition, you could play a game and send them the result of the game - but you had to buy the starter box, and the games were only between the two factions that came in the box. I didn't even hear about this event until after it finished, so obviously it didn't generate much buzz.


So, what happens when you want something to happen, but nobody else is doing it? That's right, "DO IT YOURSELF". I'm unbelievably lucky to have found a local scene that shares the same kind of warhammer and tabletop interests that I do. The Rust Punks are a Calgary based group that have graciously allowed this Edmontonian into the fold. I wanted to do something fun for that community, so I came up with my own global campaign. For me, this is something of a trial campaign - it is very light on mechanics, and at this point (the very beginning) it is very light on story. My hope is that as people engage with it, those ideas will start to come together. 


I have called it Empire at War and am using an old warhammer fantasy map of the Empire as the basis for the campaign. Players can choose from Order, Chaos, Destruction, or Death for their factions - which hopefully gives everyone enough options for how to fit their army into the game.

So, here's the gist:

  • Campaign turns last for 1 month
  • Players can submit the results of any fantasy game they play (not just warhammer)
  • They pick a faction to represent, and which part of the map they are fighting over
  • They can also submit battle reports, pictures, and art
  • At the end of each week, I update the battle reports and pictures
  • At the end of each month, I update the map and the campaign results.
  • Each new month will bring a new narrative event to the world that players can engage with - or not
  • The campaign will end in August or September 2025, and will feature a final grand battle at Dungeon Fest 2025 in Calgary, Alberta

 


While I did create this campaign for the Rust Punks, it is still open to ANYONE. I have been sharing widely with international friends, and I have already received a few results and battle reports from abroad. If interest persists, then I think the next iteration may be a truly global affair.

 

One interesting thing that I have noticed - most of the participants are playing Mordheim as their system of choice, so I believe that The East Marches (Talabecland and Ostermark) might be the most hotly contested territory, as Mordheim sits on the southern border of Ostermark. So, if you are battling in Mordheim, prepare for a fight.

 

If this interests you at all - please come join us!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Miniature Makers: A (not at all) Definitive List

For nearly 20 years, I have been captivated by the miniature hobby. For most of that time, the only company I was truly aware of, was Games Workshop. The giant in the room, GW certainly has an impressive range of sculpts and a strong design vision. In the last few years, I have become aware of a wide range of other companies, brands, and sculptors, who have their own unique visions about what miniatures are. This will be a living list of the miniature manufacturers that have been recommended to me, or that I have purchased from. It is a very diverse list. Some manufacturers focus on their own proprietary games, and some just sell bits. I have not ordered from all of these companies, so your mileage may vary!!! If there is a company that you love, and it is not listed here, drop me a line and I will add it to the list. Pictured above - https://www.blacksunminiatures.co.uk/product/guardian/   * - Companies with a star were suggested by hobbyists on Reddit and throughout the community. Th

Stargrave Loot Tokens

 I thought I would show off my Stargrave loot tokens. They are pretty simple, but I'm really happy with them. I followed the same method I used for my Frostgrave tokens, but I put a bit more effort into the data loot. Both sets were made from spare/old 40k bits. These data loot were made with bits of foam-core, foam insulation, a toothpick and some old eldar bits. The screen are just craft foam that I painted green, and then mixed that green with white to do the screen details. These terminals look good on the field! The physical loot tokens are super-duper simple. I probably could have put some more effort in here, but I wanted to get playing! These are just 3 pieces of 40k bits stuck to a base. Nothing fancy! I glued on some plastic plants that looked a little bit sci-fi to me.

Rangers of Shadowdeep - Scenario 1: Ableheim

This is the first scenario I created for my Red Brothers campaign, and I had a blast creating and playing it. Since playing it I have made a few tweaks, and I'm sure you will have some creative tweaks as well! I love playing with randomized mechanics, especially when I am trying to create a narratively driven game. Setup: Ableheim is a town that houses corruption and cult activity, the warband has been sent to investigate and destroy any corruption they find. A mob gathers to watch the warband, getting increasingly agitated. Victory:  - Find and destroy the corruption; - Exit the table through the starting path Mechanics: Houses When a character investigates a house, roll a D6; If a 6 is rolled, that house contains the corruption. If no 6 is rolled, the corruption is in the last house. If a D6 roll fails, add +1 to the mob counter. When the corruption is found place 1 cultist, 1 cultist archer, and 1 demon in the house (or near it). Mob The mob consists of 3 villagers/militia model