Skip to main content

Dwarfs on the March

I've been quiet for a few weeks, but I have still been busy working in the dungeon! Stepping away from IG has been restful, and it has inclined me to also take a step back from a lot of other obligations in my life and re-orient some of my priorities.

I've been enjoying my quiet time and have been using that extra time to read through The Old World rulebooks which I picked up on a lark. I've played a fair amount of OPR Regiments over the last year (and have loved it so much), but something about the crunch and the character drew me back into the world of Warhammer Fantasy. I've been building lists, theory crafting, and digging my old dwarf army out of storage and bits boxes. In fact, I've been buying and sourcing dwarf models from anywhere I can find them (huge shout out to my bud Rory for giving me a ziploc full of dwarf warriors).

My existing dwarf models were on a mix of 20 and 25 mm, and a mix of square and round bases. They are also painted in about 10 different styles by almost as many different people, and many are just grey plastic or raw metal. So, this leads into my upcoming project:

I am taking about 4000 points worth of dwarfs (before upgrades) for the old world, stripping, rebasing, and painting them. While I’m making a lot of progress very quickly, I know I am going to slow down significantly when I hit the painting stages. But, for the next year or so, you should be seeing the occasional blog post about progress on this massive army. Truly, the goal is to build the army that 12 year old Andrew dreamed about, but had no idea how to achieve (or pay for).

Not only am I excited to play TOW, but I have two parallel reasons to get so involved here. The first is that I have done a 180 on how I feel about games in the last year. I have always loved and enjoyed casual narrative experiences, but I have started feeling a strong desire to play a more complicated game in a more competitive way. The discussion between Gage and Tyler on a recent Hive Scum episode helped cement this concept for me. Playing competitive doesn't make you a douchebag - as long as you win and lose with grace, you can play hard and have fun. This does require having an opponent with a similar mindset - which might prove to be the greater challenge - but I’m hopeful that I can find/build a scene with good principles. I’ve got a few friends locked in with me, and we want to start a TOW night at a local game store to start meeting other big nerds in our area.

The second and related reason, is that In Rust We Trust is going to be starting a global campaign inspired by the old GW narratives like Storm of Chaos. This campaign will be a shared world where players pledge themselves to factions and report their game results to the server. These results will change the map, the story, and the world. I am lucky enough to be participating as one of the “GMs” for this event – I don’t know entirely what this entails just yet, but I think I will be helping to coordinate one of the factions and reporting to the game organizers about how things are going.

So, even though I’m a bit less visible these days since being off of social media, I’m still just as busy (or more) with hobby related stuff. Keep an eye on this blog for more updates on the dwarf army, and also TOW and the IRWT global campaign. I’ll close out here with a few pictures from a recent game day with friends, and also some ‘before’ pictures of my dwarf army.

 

Dwarf Project WIPs - Pictures of the army in various stages of basing, building, stripping, or painting.








 

And a few more pictures from a recent game day. We played two games - the first being Mordheim and the second OPR Regiments. The first game, the dwarfs were defending some treasure and were attacked by various warbands looking to steal it. The second game had those warbands sending for reinforcements, and several armies crashed against the dwarf defences. I volunteered to be the punching bag for the scenarios so we could try something a little different, rather than a 2v2 or a free for all. I think we all had a great time!















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Miniature Makers: A (not at all) Definitive List

For nearly 20 years, I have been captivated by the miniature hobby. For most of that time, the only company I was truly aware of, was Games Workshop. The giant in the room, GW certainly has an impressive range of sculpts and a strong design vision. In the last few years, I have become aware of a wide range of other companies, brands, and sculptors, who have their own unique visions about what miniatures are. This will be a living list of the miniature manufacturers that have been recommended to me, or that I have purchased from. It is a very diverse list. Some manufacturers focus on their own proprietary games, and some just sell bits. I have not ordered from all of these companies, so your mileage may vary!!! If there is a company that you love, and it is not listed here, drop me a line and I will add it to the list. Pictured above - https://www.blacksunminiatures.co.uk/product/guardian/   * - Companies with a star were suggested by hobbyists on Reddit and throughout the community. Th

Rangers of Shadowdeep - Scenario 1: Ableheim

This is the first scenario I created for my Red Brothers campaign, and I had a blast creating and playing it. Since playing it I have made a few tweaks, and I'm sure you will have some creative tweaks as well! I love playing with randomized mechanics, especially when I am trying to create a narratively driven game. Setup: Ableheim is a town that houses corruption and cult activity, the warband has been sent to investigate and destroy any corruption they find. A mob gathers to watch the warband, getting increasingly agitated. Victory:  - Find and destroy the corruption; - Exit the table through the starting path Mechanics: Houses When a character investigates a house, roll a D6; If a 6 is rolled, that house contains the corruption. If no 6 is rolled, the corruption is in the last house. If a D6 roll fails, add +1 to the mob counter. When the corruption is found place 1 cultist, 1 cultist archer, and 1 demon in the house (or near it). Mob The mob consists of 3 villagers/militia model

Stargrave Loot Tokens

 I thought I would show off my Stargrave loot tokens. They are pretty simple, but I'm really happy with them. I followed the same method I used for my Frostgrave tokens, but I put a bit more effort into the data loot. Both sets were made from spare/old 40k bits. These data loot were made with bits of foam-core, foam insulation, a toothpick and some old eldar bits. The screen are just craft foam that I painted green, and then mixed that green with white to do the screen details. These terminals look good on the field! The physical loot tokens are super-duper simple. I probably could have put some more effort in here, but I wanted to get playing! These are just 3 pieces of 40k bits stuck to a base. Nothing fancy! I glued on some plastic plants that looked a little bit sci-fi to me.