Skip to main content

Into the Dungeon Fest

I am feeling very overwhelmed. I am writing this on Tuesday morning after arriving home on Sunday night at midnight from Dungeon Fest. My mind and body are still recovering from that whirlwind of an event. I know Rat Boy Rory is going to be taking even longer to recover than I am - he birthed this wild event in his brain, and then carried it forward into the world. We owe it to Rory that this event was such a success. And what a success it was! All throughout the weekend there was chatter about what we were going to be doing 'next year', which made us feel like people were excited to come back before they even left.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. What is Dungeon Fest? Well, Dungeon Fest is a two day gaming and culture event in Calgary, Alberta that takes heavy inspiration from Under the Dice Fest in Chicopee, Massachusetts. There were full day gaming events of Mordheim, MTG, and Flames of Orion, as well as pickup games of OPR, Turnip 28, Gaslands, Space Hulk, and Mork Borg. There were vendors selling games, books, and merch. There were TV's set up so that attendants could play Halo 2 with up to 8 players. There was food, a bar, silent auction, prizes, and a pair of dungeon synth DJs who played for 2 whole days. There was also a killer live show on saturday night with local metal and hardcore bands (special shoutout to Vargouille for BRINGING THE ENERGY), and a live set from the aforementioned dungeon synth DJs. I'm probably forgetting some of the cool stuff that happened, but the real treat was the 100-200 people who came through over the weekend to hang out, play games, and be generally very cool.

I think there are going to be a lot more pictures that pop up from the event over the next few days (and possibly a documentary by Caffeinated Miniatures - shout out to Jarrid for being unbelievably chill, and for chatting about running with me), but I wanted to post a few of the picture I was able to snap. As usual, I did a terrible job of documenting the event. I have a few short video clips that I will try to embed as well, if blogger will let me. this is not an exhaustive play by play of the event, because that wouldn't do it justice. This is just to show you how much fun we had, and to say: if you want something like this to happen where you live, you need to do what Rory did and make it happen!

Alberta Mordheim Open getting started


Getting setup to play in the Flames of Orion event


MTG pre-modern event

 

Post-Mordheim armies on parade

 

A well deserved peoples choice for best warband went to @ryeburg_yt 

 

The following pictures are from the Flames of Orion event










The following pictures are from the Alberta Mordheim Open (I did not take many pictures)










I hope these little snippets give you even a fraction of the sense of the energy we had. There will be more photo and video to come - and it sounds like we will be doing it all again next year.

 

 

 

I will be posting a third part to my Temple of Death table series, where I talk about how the table got used at the event, but I'll save that for a separate post.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Miniature Makers: A (not at all) Definitive List

For nearly 20 years, I have been captivated by the miniature hobby. For most of that time, the only company I was truly aware of, was Games Workshop. The giant in the room, GW certainly has an impressive range of sculpts and a strong design vision. In the last few years, I have become aware of a wide range of other companies, brands, and sculptors, who have their own unique visions about what miniatures are. This will be a living list of the miniature manufacturers that have been recommended to me, or that I have purchased from. It is a very diverse list. Some manufacturers focus on their own proprietary games, and some just sell bits. I have not ordered from all of these companies, so your mileage may vary!!! If there is a company that you love, and it is not listed here, drop me a line and I will add it to the list. Pictured above - https://www.blacksunminiatures.co.uk/product/guardian/   * - Companies with a star were suggested by hobbyists on Reddit and throughout the community. Th

Rangers of Shadowdeep - Scenario 1: Ableheim

This is the first scenario I created for my Red Brothers campaign, and I had a blast creating and playing it. Since playing it I have made a few tweaks, and I'm sure you will have some creative tweaks as well! I love playing with randomized mechanics, especially when I am trying to create a narratively driven game. Setup: Ableheim is a town that houses corruption and cult activity, the warband has been sent to investigate and destroy any corruption they find. A mob gathers to watch the warband, getting increasingly agitated. Victory:  - Find and destroy the corruption; - Exit the table through the starting path Mechanics: Houses When a character investigates a house, roll a D6; If a 6 is rolled, that house contains the corruption. If no 6 is rolled, the corruption is in the last house. If a D6 roll fails, add +1 to the mob counter. When the corruption is found place 1 cultist, 1 cultist archer, and 1 demon in the house (or near it). Mob The mob consists of 3 villagers/militia model

Stargrave Loot Tokens

 I thought I would show off my Stargrave loot tokens. They are pretty simple, but I'm really happy with them. I followed the same method I used for my Frostgrave tokens, but I put a bit more effort into the data loot. Both sets were made from spare/old 40k bits. These data loot were made with bits of foam-core, foam insulation, a toothpick and some old eldar bits. The screen are just craft foam that I painted green, and then mixed that green with white to do the screen details. These terminals look good on the field! The physical loot tokens are super-duper simple. I probably could have put some more effort in here, but I wanted to get playing! These are just 3 pieces of 40k bits stuck to a base. Nothing fancy! I glued on some plastic plants that looked a little bit sci-fi to me.