Skip to main content

Temple of Death: Part 1 - The Build

I have built a new board for Into the Dungeon Fest, which is going to be happening in just over a week from today! I wanted to contribute to the Mordheim event and put something together that would be interesting for players. I had some styrofoam, so the initial plan was just for some ruined walls - the temple idea came later. I put this board together in just over a week, which is standard for me - I go from no hobby effort at all, to 3 or 4 manic hours a day until the project is done.

I don't want to be too granular about my process, but the styrofoam was actually pretty soft and flimsy, so it required a lot of supporting. Luckily, it didn't melt when I hit it with hot glue, so I was able to mount it onto the table. I also spent several hours chopping and gluing floor planks into place. I watched the entire first season of True Detective during this build - strangely, it helped keep me sane. This all went around the statue, which was made of a Buddha who's head was sawed off (sorry, Buddha!) and replaced with a plastic Halloween skull.




I used pre-mixed grout around the bases of most of the styrofoam pieces to keep them firmly in place and provide some rigidity. I went over the entire board at this point with a mixture of wood glue, matte medium, water, and sand (not very much sand at all). This provided a bit of durability, and texture for paint to grip. Then I did a second round with a lot less water, and a lot more sand. This mostly went on the flat areas of the board to build some ground texture, but I also used it on the walls to cover some of the styrofoam edges and provide more durability.

Next came painting. I grabbed all of my old acrylic paints that come in those cheap 'starter kits' for kids. I have a whole bin of those from every time someone gives up on painting and gives me their old stuff. I squeezed out 6 or 7 greens, browns, and ochres onto a big pallete and started blending them in patches across the table. I like really colourful tables, and I don't always stick to realistic colour palettes. My home Mordheim setup is all purple and blue. (Of course I did not take pictures of most of the middle phases - classic).



I painted the whole table using cheap acrylics, including the wood beams (light brown), the walls (grey), and the statue (several shades of teal and green). I drybrushed some metallics of the statue which gave it that good old patina look. I also drybrush the rest of the table with a cheap off-white acrylic for highlighting - nice and simple.


Next came oil washes. I didn't want to cover the entire table - I used to have a massive jar of black acrylic ink wash that I just doused my terrain with, but I found it left a shiny texture no matter how much matte medium I stirred in. So I was satisfied by blobbing purple into every nook and cranny on the board (washing the whole statue purple), and then following up with brown, ochre, and green washes to temper the purple shadows and add grime and colour.

Once the oil washes were dry, it was time to flock! This is always the scariest step for me. I mix wood glue, isopropyl alcohol, and water together (very thick for this part) and slop it all over the nice painting I just did. I come behind it by sprinkling on a dark green, and then a lighter shade in turn, until the board no longer looks wet. I like to add more than needed, as the glue will saturate up into the flocking as it sits. After doing the whole board and giving it an hour to try in the very hot sun during a heat wave, I flip the table sideways and blow off all the excess flock that is sitting on top that didn't stick.

I mix up some more glue, this time way thinner - using mostly just isopropyl and wood glue. I strain out all the chunks of glue that don't dissolve, and I add the nice thin mix to a spray bottle. This coats all of the flocking on the board, saturating it from the top. At this point, the flocking is solidly adhered.


This is the majority of the board done, and the last steps are just adding little details, like grass tufts, flowers, moss, and painting the skulls around the statue base. As you can see, non of these were particularly advanced techniques. I used styrofoam, stir sticks, and an old coffee can for the tower. I painted with cheap acrylics and oils, using thinner from the craft store for washes. The most advance technique would probably be purchasing flocking and tufts, and spritzing isopropyl and glue over the flock - but I wouldn't describe that step as very hard.

So, this is a super affordable and accessible build for anyone in the hobby, and it's the way I make pretty much all of my boards.

 


The one negative thing about this board that I have to say, is that there is almost no verticality. For most games that's fine, but for Mordheim I like a bit of climbing. I think it's still super playable, due to the way that the pivoted temple helps to block line of sight, and I will be adding scatter to the board like trees, fences, and bushes to creat more obstacles.



The board is also roughly 4'x2' because that's the size of board I had to work with. Not a standard Mordheim size, but who cares!

In the next post, I'll talk a bit about the lore, ideas, and mechanics that I have in store for this board - I also want to follow up after the event to show off some of the games that take place on it over the weekend.


For now, here's some more random pictures of the table:













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Miniature Makers: A (not at all) Definitive List

For nearly 20 years, I have been captivated by the miniature hobby. For most of that time, the only company I was truly aware of, was Games Workshop. The giant in the room, GW certainly has an impressive range of sculpts and a strong design vision. In the last few years, I have become aware of a wide range of other companies, brands, and sculptors, who have their own unique visions about what miniatures are. This will be a living list of the miniature manufacturers that have been recommended to me, or that I have purchased from. It is a very diverse list. Some manufacturers focus on their own proprietary games, and some just sell bits. I have not ordered from all of these companies, so your mileage may vary!!! If there is a company that you love, and it is not listed here, drop me a line and I will add it to the list. Pictured above - https://www.blacksunminiatures.co.uk/product/guardian/   * - Companies with a star were suggested by hobbyists on Reddit and throughout the community. Th

Rangers of Shadowdeep - Scenario 1: Ableheim

This is the first scenario I created for my Red Brothers campaign, and I had a blast creating and playing it. Since playing it I have made a few tweaks, and I'm sure you will have some creative tweaks as well! I love playing with randomized mechanics, especially when I am trying to create a narratively driven game. Setup: Ableheim is a town that houses corruption and cult activity, the warband has been sent to investigate and destroy any corruption they find. A mob gathers to watch the warband, getting increasingly agitated. Victory:  - Find and destroy the corruption; - Exit the table through the starting path Mechanics: Houses When a character investigates a house, roll a D6; If a 6 is rolled, that house contains the corruption. If no 6 is rolled, the corruption is in the last house. If a D6 roll fails, add +1 to the mob counter. When the corruption is found place 1 cultist, 1 cultist archer, and 1 demon in the house (or near it). Mob The mob consists of 3 villagers/militia model

Stargrave Loot Tokens

 I thought I would show off my Stargrave loot tokens. They are pretty simple, but I'm really happy with them. I followed the same method I used for my Frostgrave tokens, but I put a bit more effort into the data loot. Both sets were made from spare/old 40k bits. These data loot were made with bits of foam-core, foam insulation, a toothpick and some old eldar bits. The screen are just craft foam that I painted green, and then mixed that green with white to do the screen details. These terminals look good on the field! The physical loot tokens are super-duper simple. I probably could have put some more effort in here, but I wanted to get playing! These are just 3 pieces of 40k bits stuck to a base. Nothing fancy! I glued on some plastic plants that looked a little bit sci-fi to me.