Skip to main content

No thoughts, head empty

 For me, there is a clear line between hobbying and playing games. Sometimes those activities blur up against each other, but they've always felt pretty distinct to me. Playing games requires presence of mind. I usually do a lot of prep work, writing lists, print reference sheets, building custom scenario terrain, packing things up to travel, watching battle reports and learning how to play new games. So when I show up on game day, even though I'm not a competitive player, I carry all of that work with me. I also want to be present for my opponent. They have made the time to play with me, and I want us both to have a great experience.

Hobbying on the other hand - the scraping, gluing, painting, bashing, and building of the toys we use to play - is a meditative experience for me. There are times when I'm more conscious about what I'm doing, and this is especially true if I'm working in little chunks throughout the week. I find breaking up my hobby time like that doesn't allow me to settle in. But sometimes... I actually get to sit down for a few hours, and it's in those experiences that I derive the most joy from my hobby.

I am probably experiencing a flow state of some kind, but to me it feels exactly the same as meditation and running. At first glance you may not think hobbying, meditation, and running share essential qualities - well, at least running probably seems out of place. I know a lot of people refer to their hobby time as a relaxing or meditative experience. But it's more than just relaxing. It's one of the few places I've been experienced where I can silence the thoughts in my mind. At least on a semi-regular basis (when I hike to the top of a mountain, I usually get this same feeling, but that requires I drive to the mountains and spend 4 or 5 hours climbing - not really something you can do after work).

I've also found over the last year or so, that I care less and less about the finished product. I often have fun bashing a cool model, but I don't actually care how it looks when it's done anymore. Sometimes I feel like painting every detail and highlighting and shading, and glazing in colour transitions. Other times I use two colours and blast them in until I feel content. The act of hobbying for me has become entirely 'feeling' driven. It's the process, not the product.

The other place in daily life where I can experience the same sense of oblivion and where I can let go and follow my feelings, is running. Nearly 100% of the time when I bring up running, I can see the eyes of the person I am talking to roll back into their skull as they feel a full-body wave of revulsion. Everybody hates running. Because it's hard. Until it's not. Running is an experience that asks a lot up front, and I never judge anyone who hits that wall and says "this is not for me". But on the other side of that wall is something special. In the same way that I can't hobby for five minutes and feel the flow state, I can't just run down the block and feel it. The longer I go, the more full the experience. And similar to the hobby, I'm driven by feeling, not by a desire for results. I have tried to run competitively (and have found a separate joy in that), but I feel the most joy when I'm moving at a comfortable pace for a long period of time, and my mind empties.

I don't think it's a coincidence that there are such strong parallels in the two activities that have come to define my adult life. There is obviously an experience here that I crave. And luckily for me, these activities have filled in for each other in times of need. Over the past year I've dealt with what seems like a never ending cascade of personal and family health concerns. Not being physically capable or mentally available to put the required effort into running, I've leaned much more heavily on the hobby. And despite the solitary nature of running and painting, both of these activities call out for community. So my year has been full of building and strengthening relationships, and finding oblivion in such a strange place as plastic toys.

As things in my life become tentatively more stable and I am able to rebuild physically to the point where I can pursue running as I once did, I feel like I may pull back from the hobby, at least a little bit. But it brings me great comfort to know that I have found a community and an activity that can bring peace and balance to my life when times are tough.

This post appears to have meandered a bit and become more personal in nature, but I can sum up my feelings like this: I have found meditative experiences to be an essential part of staying sane as an adult - running and hobbying work for me. I hope you find the same experience in your hobby, and I hope you can find it elsewhere in your life too. 



Comments

  1. Great read. I can relate to entering that flow state. There are times where I really lose myself in the bits and paint, and before I know its 3 hours have passed. Glad we've gotten the chance to cross hobby paths and looking forward to more posts!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Miniature Makers: A (not at all) Definitive List

For nearly 20 years, I have been captivated by the miniature hobby. For most of that time, the only company I was truly aware of, was Games Workshop. The giant in the room, GW certainly has an impressive range of sculpts and a strong design vision. In the last few years, I have become aware of a wide range of other companies, brands, and sculptors, who have their own unique visions about what miniatures are. This will be a living list of the miniature manufacturers that have been recommended to me, or that I have purchased from. It is a very diverse list. Some manufacturers focus on their own proprietary games, and some just sell bits. I have not ordered from all of these companies, so your mileage may vary!!! If there is a company that you love, and it is not listed here, drop me a line and I will add it to the list. Pictured above - https://www.blacksunminiatures.co.uk/product/guardian/   * - Companies with a star were suggested by hobbyists on Reddit and throughout the community. Th

Rangers of Shadowdeep - Scenario 1: Ableheim

This is the first scenario I created for my Red Brothers campaign, and I had a blast creating and playing it. Since playing it I have made a few tweaks, and I'm sure you will have some creative tweaks as well! I love playing with randomized mechanics, especially when I am trying to create a narratively driven game. Setup: Ableheim is a town that houses corruption and cult activity, the warband has been sent to investigate and destroy any corruption they find. A mob gathers to watch the warband, getting increasingly agitated. Victory:  - Find and destroy the corruption; - Exit the table through the starting path Mechanics: Houses When a character investigates a house, roll a D6; If a 6 is rolled, that house contains the corruption. If no 6 is rolled, the corruption is in the last house. If a D6 roll fails, add +1 to the mob counter. When the corruption is found place 1 cultist, 1 cultist archer, and 1 demon in the house (or near it). Mob The mob consists of 3 villagers/militia model

Stargrave Loot Tokens

 I thought I would show off my Stargrave loot tokens. They are pretty simple, but I'm really happy with them. I followed the same method I used for my Frostgrave tokens, but I put a bit more effort into the data loot. Both sets were made from spare/old 40k bits. These data loot were made with bits of foam-core, foam insulation, a toothpick and some old eldar bits. The screen are just craft foam that I painted green, and then mixed that green with white to do the screen details. These terminals look good on the field! The physical loot tokens are super-duper simple. I probably could have put some more effort in here, but I wanted to get playing! These are just 3 pieces of 40k bits stuck to a base. Nothing fancy! I glued on some plastic plants that looked a little bit sci-fi to me.