Skip to main content

Karthlands Factions

As I'm still waiting to get my hobby space put back together after moving, I've had a bit of time to mull over some lore and setting ideas for this campaign. I wanted to create a sense of personality for a few of my factions without pigeonholing them too much. I want them to organically develop through gameplay decisions and results. Other than the wardens, which will act as a generic factions for adventurers and warriors, I focused on the leaders of each settlement as being emblematic of their faction or culture. I think I've captured a few large archetypes - steadfast warriors, self interested merchants, religious fanatics, and dangerous schemers. Of course, a lot of these themes and characterizations are shamelessly borrowed from Game of Thrones. Specifically Lewynn Strong, who is meant to echo Jeor Mormont, and Benefred Wood who is meant to broadly echo the Greyjoys.

Roke by Katy Wilmotte


The Wardens

A group of lowborn men-at-arms who patrol the roads of the region, dispensing justice at the leave of the Earl. They have a reputation for being rough but good natured folk. They commonly come from farming families with too many sons and daughters to feed. The work they do is hard and deadly, and takes a heavy toll, yet they adhere to a strict code of honour. They are a better sort than those they hunt.


Earl of Karth, Lewynn Strong

An old and stout man. Hard but fair. The latest descendant in a long line of northerners who have governed Karth and defended it from incursions of barbarians, and in dark times, from other northerners. Lewynn has yet to face such dark days, and his rule has been blessed by abundant summer harvests, mild winters, and profitable trade. The winter winds are starting to blow, and a darkness creeps into the world from the North.


Jana Buck, Burgomistress of Camp Elum

A lady of sharp wit and excellent trade sense. Not technically a leader of government, but rather the leader of the merchant guild, Jana is tasked with keeping the peace (and the trade) in Camp Elum. She keeps alliance with anyone who keeps the trade flowing, and the interruptions and instability at a minimum. Camp Elum hosts a surprisingly large force of militarized guards who are deeply loyal to the Burgomistress (and her coin). While technically not an army, this force has been deployed on missions outside of the camp under the auspices of "camp business".


The Druids of Stonefell Isle

Mystics and zealots live on the strange and mysterious island across the waves from Karth. Stonefell Isle and it's surrounding archipelagos are home to steep ragged cliffs, high hills and fells that have housed nature worshipers, druids, and occultists for aeons uncounted. While it's clear that they are animists who follow the many gods and goddesses of the natural world, their rituals and practices are secretive and poorly understood. They are cold and cautious when mainlanders comes to their islands, and hostile with sailors from Grenfell Isle. That being said, their priests travel the mainland and the coast performing good deeds for those in need.


Benefred Wood, steward of Grenfell Isle

A distrustful and secretive man, Old Ben lives in a cold and barren keep, on a colder and more barren rock. The folk who live there subsist on coldwater fish and forage from the sparse woods on their stony island. Not an evil folk, but driven to desperation by their lot. Their relations with the other Karthlands settlements has always been strained, and in years past they have sailed and raided against the settlements they saw as easy prey. It wouldn't take much to push Old Ben into outright hostility with his neighbours.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Miniature Makers: A (not at all) Definitive List

For nearly 20 years, I have been captivated by the miniature hobby. For most of that time, the only company I was truly aware of, was Games Workshop. The giant in the room, GW certainly has an impressive range of sculpts and a strong design vision. In the last few years, I have become aware of a wide range of other companies, brands, and sculptors, who have their own unique visions about what miniatures are. This will be a living list of the miniature manufacturers that have been recommended to me, or that I have purchased from. It is a very diverse list. Some manufacturers focus on their own proprietary games, and some just sell bits. I have not ordered from all of these companies, so your mileage may vary!!! If there is a company that you love, and it is not listed here, drop me a line and I will add it to the list. Pictured above - https://www.blacksunminiatures.co.uk/product/guardian/   * - Companies with a star were suggested by hobbyists on Reddit and throughout the community. Th

Rangers of Shadowdeep - Scenario 1: Ableheim

This is the first scenario I created for my Red Brothers campaign, and I had a blast creating and playing it. Since playing it I have made a few tweaks, and I'm sure you will have some creative tweaks as well! I love playing with randomized mechanics, especially when I am trying to create a narratively driven game. Setup: Ableheim is a town that houses corruption and cult activity, the warband has been sent to investigate and destroy any corruption they find. A mob gathers to watch the warband, getting increasingly agitated. Victory:  - Find and destroy the corruption; - Exit the table through the starting path Mechanics: Houses When a character investigates a house, roll a D6; If a 6 is rolled, that house contains the corruption. If no 6 is rolled, the corruption is in the last house. If a D6 roll fails, add +1 to the mob counter. When the corruption is found place 1 cultist, 1 cultist archer, and 1 demon in the house (or near it). Mob The mob consists of 3 villagers/militia model

Stargrave Loot Tokens

 I thought I would show off my Stargrave loot tokens. They are pretty simple, but I'm really happy with them. I followed the same method I used for my Frostgrave tokens, but I put a bit more effort into the data loot. Both sets were made from spare/old 40k bits. These data loot were made with bits of foam-core, foam insulation, a toothpick and some old eldar bits. The screen are just craft foam that I painted green, and then mixed that green with white to do the screen details. These terminals look good on the field! The physical loot tokens are super-duper simple. I probably could have put some more effort in here, but I wanted to get playing! These are just 3 pieces of 40k bits stuck to a base. Nothing fancy! I glued on some plastic plants that looked a little bit sci-fi to me.