Skip to main content

Beast in the Pines - A Karthlands Narrative Battle Report


 

In the northern reaches of the Karthwoods, near the crags, a band of wardens led by Orin Witherhand seek out the ruins of a temple. Once a holy site of Harnor, god of wild places, the toppled bricks still give tribute to their patron. The Wardens range along this trail in search of a beast - one of many that has been sighted lately in the region. Hoping they find nothing, but prepared for the worst, the band of wardens comb through the frigid wild warily.



Wolves howl in the distance - dire wolves if Orin can tell. He tugs at the white wolf pelt that drapes across his shoulders, pulling it close around him and tight against his frozen white beard to keep out the chill.



Upon reaching the ruined temple, the wardens spread out to search for tracks or other signs of a beast. They know not what they hunt, only that the nearby villagers say it is large, and that it eats livestock. Orin signals the men to come to him at the center of the ruins, but at the same moment, a massive brute appears from nowhere between a crack in the rock and ice, bringing a tree trunk club down across young Tarren Halle and turning his body into a pile of blood and bone.



The great thing wastes no time charging Orin, who has a brief moment to register that the thing bearing down on him is an ogre wearing nothing but a chainmail coif and a loincloth, wielding two massive clubs. It swings the clubs as it comes, and only Orin's battle tested reflexes save his life. Bringing his ancient family shield to bear, Orin's arm is splintered, but his life is saved.

Before the killing blow is delivered, the remainder of the Wardens are in the fight, defending their leader with a vicious energy. They hack with swords and axes at the brutal thing, and the hew it to death in the snow. One last blow lands across Orin's back but no bones break, and Orin manages to scramble away.



Laying battered and broken in the snow, splashed with the ogres blood and seeing the steaming gore of Tarren's body, Orin tries to remember the last time a fully fledged ogre roamed this far south beyond the Crags - a tiding if things to come?

The howl of dire wolves sounds again, this time more menacingly, and far closer...





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Miniature Makers: A (not at all) Definitive List

For nearly 20 years, I have been captivated by the miniature hobby. For most of that time, the only company I was truly aware of, was Games Workshop. The giant in the room, GW certainly has an impressive range of sculpts and a strong design vision. In the last few years, I have become aware of a wide range of other companies, brands, and sculptors, who have their own unique visions about what miniatures are. This will be a living list of the miniature manufacturers that have been recommended to me, or that I have purchased from. It is a very diverse list. Some manufacturers focus on their own proprietary games, and some just sell bits. I have not ordered from all of these companies, so your mileage may vary!!! If there is a company that you love, and it is not listed here, drop me a line and I will add it to the list. Pictured above - https://www.blacksunminiatures.co.uk/product/guardian/   * - Companies with a star were suggested by hobbyists on Reddit and throughout the community. Th

Rangers of Shadowdeep - Scenario 1: Ableheim

This is the first scenario I created for my Red Brothers campaign, and I had a blast creating and playing it. Since playing it I have made a few tweaks, and I'm sure you will have some creative tweaks as well! I love playing with randomized mechanics, especially when I am trying to create a narratively driven game. Setup: Ableheim is a town that houses corruption and cult activity, the warband has been sent to investigate and destroy any corruption they find. A mob gathers to watch the warband, getting increasingly agitated. Victory:  - Find and destroy the corruption; - Exit the table through the starting path Mechanics: Houses When a character investigates a house, roll a D6; If a 6 is rolled, that house contains the corruption. If no 6 is rolled, the corruption is in the last house. If a D6 roll fails, add +1 to the mob counter. When the corruption is found place 1 cultist, 1 cultist archer, and 1 demon in the house (or near it). Mob The mob consists of 3 villagers/militia model

Stargrave Loot Tokens

 I thought I would show off my Stargrave loot tokens. They are pretty simple, but I'm really happy with them. I followed the same method I used for my Frostgrave tokens, but I put a bit more effort into the data loot. Both sets were made from spare/old 40k bits. These data loot were made with bits of foam-core, foam insulation, a toothpick and some old eldar bits. The screen are just craft foam that I painted green, and then mixed that green with white to do the screen details. These terminals look good on the field! The physical loot tokens are super-duper simple. I probably could have put some more effort in here, but I wanted to get playing! These are just 3 pieces of 40k bits stuck to a base. Nothing fancy! I glued on some plastic plants that looked a little bit sci-fi to me.